I was reading through some of the reviews of Bioshock 2 and have a few things to say about what I saw.
Now, first off my biggest problems with Bioshock 2 are;
- It is quite easy. My first play through was on medium and it felt like easy. There is ammo, first aid kits, and eve hypos everywhere. And even in the areas where there isn’t as much money is easy to come by and vending machines are always around. The weapons you get are fairly powerful. The only things I had trouble killing were the Big Sisters. Hell, the security codes to doors get saved for you. And…
- The storyline doesn’t quite fit with the first game. If Sofia Lamb was such a threat to Andrew Ryan I feel like there would have been some mention of her.
That being said…I was quite shocked at some of the complaints I saw made by others. Including..
Complaints about the drill-
- "Unlike the wrench, it runs on fuel"
The drill can be used as a melee weapon. One that is, at least in my opinion, more powerful than the wrench. Also as I stated before there are plenty of resources just laying around. You just have to be willing to go out and look for it.
- "Fuel is scarce to come by"
I don’t mean to be rude, but I actually laughed at that. Once again, if you put in any effort at all, you will find that fuel and ammo are not too difficult to come by.
- “You are pretty much guaranteed to drain the drill’s ammo in any serious fight; therefore, you cannot depend on it in any medium to large scale fights”
I mainly use the drill on Big Daddy’s, and sometimes I don’t even use all of the fuel. Even if you do you can easily use electro bolt and hit him with the drill ‘til he drops.
Complaints that it’s the same storyline as Bioshock 1
I personally don’t see this. To me the conflict with Dr. Lamb and the conflict with Fontaine is very different.
And my personal favorite: The Vita Chambers
- “ You die because you’re not capable of beating whatever hard part of the game you’re at and so you return to the nearest Vita-chamber. The problem is you now have a lot less ammo, less fuel for your drill, less eve and 50% of a single vial of health… and you still have to go back and fight the guys that you just lost against!”
The bottom line here is the vita chambers let you cheat death. By using them it is impossible for you to actually die in the game. So to complain that they are being to harsh? That is completely unreasonable. And then to continue on and complain about having to finish killing your enemies… That is just shameful. Be grateful you didn’t get a big “Game Over” and continue on with the game.
There were other complaints about things not being explained in the game, things that are explained if you look around and gather information via voice recordings and the such. What this tells me is that there are people out there the do nothing but follow the arrow…
I fully blame games like Call of Duty and Halo for this type of thinking. Game that pretty much hand everything to the player. Now, I’m not saying that these are bad games. If you like them, that’s fantastic. However, don’t be angry when you miss out on important and incredibly helpful things in other games because you don’t know how to play them how they’re meant to be played. And even worse, to blame the creators of the game… These games are an adventure. An adventure that you have to be willing to go on by yourself without constant guidance. Don’t be afraid to explore a little, I promise you will find your experience much more rewarding.